All You Need To Know About Hiring Professional House Painters
Hiring House Painters
House painting can turn out to be a daunting task if not done properly. It is always fun to paint and DIY but there are a lot of factors to consider apart from the budget. In this article, we will discuss everything about professional house painters (who deal with exterior and interior painting) and commercial painters and why we need them.
Why should you hire interior house painters?
We all love our homes but still, we get tired of watching the same walls every day or it might be an issue of wear and tear. Professionals for interior painting are required for the following factors:
- Professional painters will finish your job within an assured deadline (for example, if you are having a party a week later and in this situation, DIYing does not seem an ideal option).
- They will give a great facelift to your house with great finishing.
- They have advanced equipment and manpower to make the process a lot faster and cleaner.
- They work under the guidelines of EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) thus, if they find lead in your interior walls, their certified experts will remove the lead paint content before the painting. They have wide knowledge of the toxins present in paints, VOCs (volatile organic compounds, and the environmental impact of paints.
- The ceiling work can be the hardest along with moldings and wood trims. These things take a real test on the steadiness of the painter's hand.
How should you find the right house painters?
There are a lot of factors involved:
- You can always check grades, ratings (which should always be above three stars), and online reviews to check for the pros and ensure they are the correct fit for your project. You should check customer testimonials too. Other professionals from whom you also can ask for recommendations are builders, real estate agents, and interior designers.
- You need to check for the license, workers' compensation coverage, and liability insurance of the professional painter. You should also find three or more price quotes for paint brand, number of coats, primer, etc. from the painter.
- Most professional painters maintain documentation or picture galleries of their finished jobs. You can ask them to show a portfolio of their previous projects. This will give you an idea of their previous accomplishments and experiences.
Why should you hire a painting contractor for exterior house painting?
Exterior house painting needs a lot of effort and preparation. It is genuinely not a one-man job that you can do it all by yourself. All the following steps will come at a cost, so it will be beneficial to understand the level of preparation needed.
In the beginning, the exterior surface will need proper cleaning and it is needed to be washed and scraped prior to painting. Therefore, here are some factors why you need a professional for this job for a residential project of painting:
- House surface preparation:
Mostly, exterior surfaces are prepped for painting by initially power washing followed by scraping, leveling, and smoothening out the surface.
Power washing involves removing stubborn debris and stains, whereas, scraping is technically done for removing old paint. Finally, the wall surface is leveled and smoothened out before any fresh coats of paint are applied. They know whether the wall surface requires primer or sealants first.
- Choice of color:
The color of the paint also helps in determining how the rest of the job will be carried out. For example, lighter color shades will require a detailed process of painting so that it appears clean and even.
- Project scope:
For larger houses, the project of painting will require more cost and more preparation compared to smaller houses. The design or pattern of the house's build will also influence the painting project. For example, homes with simple outdoor construction designs are way easier to paint.
Larger homes with multi-stories will require equipment to reach the extreme heights of the house to paint. Professionals are experienced and they will be able to take safety measures more than a person that plans on DIYing cannot.
Older homes are more prone to wear and tear thus while prepping if a novice scrapes a fragile part, it might end up in more damage and your cost will automatically go higher. It is better to let professional painters do their job of exterior painting.
What things you should avoid with residential painters?
High demand and tight labor market can drive the rates up and down for professional painters. Avoid painters with no certification or license, bad reviews, and bad customer testimonials.
Avoid painters who focus more on name brands or designer paints rather than generic brands. This can take your cost way higher. Avoid painters who do not know about green paint alternatives (paints that are free from VOCs, toxic chemical pigments, and biocides) for the interior.
Avoid the painters who charge you more by making repairs into their account (like wall dings and dents) which is not their job. This will save you on the budget.
You can try to DIY the accessible and easy parts like doors, windows, cabinets, etc., this will help you to budget smartly.
Check the market for options and compare the charges and competitive costs along with their experiences. Thus, avoid working with the first painter you get.
What is the need for commercial painters?
If you run a factory or an industry that requires painting, residential painters won't do the job for you. You need to hire commercial painters. They know to paint on building, machines, piping, etc.
These are the following things that a commercial painter should have:
- Blaster or Pressure washer for cleaning dust, dirt, chipped paint, oil, or grease. This is essentially the prepping stage.
- Drop cloths for protecting the painting site from bleeds or wet drips.
- Ladders, lifts, and scaffoldings.
- Caulk or putty to fix cracks, holes, and crevices.
- Scrappers and sandpapers for the paint to adhere to the scrapped surface.
- Industrial primers that inhibit corrosion and rust.
- The correct paint according to surfaces like wood, cinderblock, plastic, etc.
- Brushes, rollers, and sprays for accomplishing large-scale painting and detailed work.
- Tracking technology saves time and provides accuracy.
There is nothing that will be able to change an environment, be it work or house, other than a quality paint job. It not only changes the appearance of a place but safeguards against wear and tear too. Make sure you hire the right painters that fulfill your requirements.